Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Unto the Lord

‘Then it happened, as [Moses and Elijah] were parting from Him, that Peter said to Jesus, “Master, it is good for us to be here; and let us make three tabernacles: one for You, one for Moses, and one for Elijah”—not knowing what he said. 34 While he was saying this, a cloud came and overshadowed them; and they were fearful as they entered the cloud. 35And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!” 36 When the voice had ceased, Jesus was found alone. But they kept quiet, and told no one in those days any of the things they had seen.’  
Luke 9:33-36

   Friday at Ab Initio, Beth Bentley taught us a Bible study method using Luke 9:28-36 and having us work along with her.  Since then, I have been thinking about the portion of this passage when Peter speaks, particularly the portion after “Master, it is good for us to be here.”  I have gone through several interpretations of what “not knowing what he said” might mean, but one idea has remained prominent in my mind.  Peter seemed to focus upon earthly needs instead of seeing the heavenly things happening around him.   He focused on wanting to provide shelter for Jesus, Moses, and Elijah instead of hearing the discussion of Jesus’ death and the salvation that would entail. 
  
   I think this stuck with me because I know I am frequently guilty of the same thing.  I often format my work to please whoever my immediate earthly authority is instead of looking at the bigger picture.  Even while doing this practice exercise on Friday, I kept stopping my thoughts because I wanted to make sure I was getting the type of answers Beth would want.  Now, there is nothing wrong with trying to please people, but I definitely should have been willing to share the answers I felt God was providing rather than thinking, “Oh, this cannot be what she wants.”  Once I realized I was doing this instead of focusing on what God was trying to reveal, I resolved to apply this interpretation immediately.  I’m working to be more aware of realizing who the real authority in a situation is.  Learning to focus on the heavenly will also help with having a better attitude.   If I look to see what the long-term is and look to see what God is doing, the difficult or annoying situations won’t be as frustrating. 

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” 
Colossians 3:23

“Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 
1 Corinthians 10:31

“It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.” 
Psalm 118:8   

No comments:

Post a Comment